The Rutgers SAFETY Clinic
The Rutgers SAFETY Clinic (Sports Awareness for Educating Today’s Youth ™) is a three-hour program that meets the “Minimum Standards for Volunteer Coaches Safety Orientation and Training Skills Programs” (N.J.A.C. 5:52) and provides partial civil immunity protection to volunteer coaches under the “Little League Law” (2A:62A-6 et. seq.)
On May 12, 1986, New Jersey became the first state in the nation to pass legislation which protects volunteer athletic coaches, managers, and officials from lawsuits. Commonly referred to as the “Little League Law” (2A:62A-6 et. seq.), this legislation extends partial civil immunity to volunteers who have attended a “safety orientation and training skills program.”
Since 1986, the Youth Sports Research Council, in cooperation with the New Jersey Recreation and Park Association (NJRPA) has trained more than 250,000 volunteer coaches in New Jersey.
In accordance with the stipulations in the Little League Law, the Rutgers SAFETY Clinic:
- helps coaches minimize the risk of injury to young athletes
- provides information about fundamental coaching concepts which enhances volunteer coaches’ effectiveness
- protects volunteer coaches from civil lawsuits
The curriculum for the Rutgers SAFETY Clinic is based upon the “Minimum Standards for Volunteer Coaches’ Safety Orientation and Training Skills Programs” (N.J.A.C. 5:52).
The topics include:
- Legal Aspects of Coaching
- Psychological Aspects of Coaching
- General Coaching Concepts
- Training and Conditioning Athletes
- Medical/First Aid Aspects of Coaching
Individuals attending the Rutgers SAFETY Clinic receive:
- The Coaches’ Reference Manual PDF (6th edition)
- The Rutgers SAFETY Clinic Certification Card
- Permanent registration with YSRC on online database (0.3 CEU)
Youth sports agencies can choose to have the YSRC provide a Clinician to conduct the Clinic ($200 administrative fee), or they can train their own instructors. Any volunteer can learn to teach the Rutgers SAFETY Clinic by attending a 5-hour Clinician’s workshop (0.5 CEU). Clinicians are provided with all the instruction and tools necessary for conducting the Clinic “on site” at their convenience.
Following completion of the SAFETY Clinic, the host agency is sent a roster of the volunteer coaches attending the clinic. Thereafter, the YSRC will certify any coach’s attendance upon request.
Click here to view the schedule of upcoming clinics.